On today's episode we learn about the Younger Dryas - a dramatic period of cooling in the planet's geologically recent past.
Today we talk with Jens Notroff from the Gobekli Tepe research project about the recent news stories about possible evidence for a comet strike at the ancient site. We look over the claims made in the paper 'DECODING GÖBEKLI TEPE WITH ARCHAEOASTRONOMY: WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?' and compare that with ongoing research from the actual Gobekli Tepe site.
Shout out to David Anderson for his help with the episode! Thanks again!
- DECODING GÖBEKLI TEPE WITH ARCHAEOASTRONOMY: WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY? Martin B. Sweatman* and Dimitrios Tsikritsis
- Archaeoastronomy, meteor showers, mass extinction: What does the fox say? (And what the crane? The aurochs?) Jens Notroff's rebuttal.
- Response by Sweatman and Tsikritsis
- Official project website at DAI homepage
- Göbekli Tepe research project weblog
- List of Göbekli Tepe publications (incl. further links)
- Göbekli Tepe 14C dates
- Göbekli Tepe interpretation as ‘meeting center’
- Göbekli Tepe
- Ancient temple tells the tale of an ice age-inducing comet collision
- Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilizations
- Does this discovery of ancient stone carvings prove that conspiracy theorist Graham Hancock was right all along?
- Nanodiamonds Are Forever; A UCSB professor’s research examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents. By Julie Cohen
- Study dis-confirms the Nanodiamonds hypothesis, can’t find them. Comprehensive analysis of nanodiamond evidence relating to the Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis, by Daulton et al, 2016
- Previous study also disconfirms Nanodiamonds. Chronological evidence fails to support claim of an isochronous widespread layer of cosmic impact indicators dated to 12,800 years ago by Meltzer et al 2014
- Another disconfirmation of an extraterrestrial impact at the Younger Dryas Boundary:
- Pro-Nanodiamonds article: Nanodiamond-Rich Layer across Three Continents Consistent with Major Cosmic Impact at 12,800 Cal BP by Kinzie et al 2014
- The Younger Dryas
- ‘Younger Dryas Impact’ hypothesis
- Arguments against Younger Dryas Impact Event
- Colavito post on these articles
- Colavito post on strife and non-strife between Andrew Collins and Graham Hancock on the Younger Dryas
- Colavito’s various Younger Dryas posts
- Video presentation by Daniela Triadan on pre-sedentary monumental Maya site of Ceibal
- Poverty Point
- Ragnarok: The Age of Fire and Gravel
- Video on Mississippian Cosmovision including archaeoastronomy
- Behind the Jericho Skull in the British Museum
- The kind of history of Middle Eastern Constellations one might want to cite in this case - Origins of the ancient constellations: I. The Mesopotamian traditions, by John H. Rogers
- Discussion on the Archaeosoup Podcast
- Speaking Up and Speaking Out: Collective Efforts in the Fight to Reclaim the Public Perception of Archaeology
- Email us at ArchyFantasies@gmail.com
- Follow us on Twitter at @Archyfantasies and find us on FaceBook.
- Theme Music by ArcheopSoup Productions