Dr. Ben Marwick returns to talk about the Open Science Interest Group, his recent publication on technology and open archaeology, and his workshop at the SAA Annual Meeting in Vancouver.
- Ben Marwick et al. (2017) "Open Science in Archaeology" SAA Pre-print
- ArchaeoTech Episode 40
- Open Science Interest Group
- Ben Marwick "How Computers Broke Science"
- SAA 2017
- Center for Digital Archaeology (CoDA)
- Chris Webster (2016) Field Archaeologist's Survival Guide: Getting a Job and Working in Cultural Resource Management
App of the Day:
Chris Webster - SAA 2017 Mobile App
Christopher Sims - Hopper
Contact the Hosts:
On today's episode we talk to Ben Marwick. Ben has started a forum and a workshop for the 2017 Society for American Archaeology meetings in Vancouver, Canada. We talk about coding and what they're going to do at the forum and the workshop. It's a new kind of session and we're excited to help announce it.
- Stack Overflow
- Software Carpentry
- R & RStudio (best used together!): https://www.r-project.org/ & https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download3/
- List of journal articles with R code: https://github.com/benmarwick/ctv-archaeology
- Annotated list of R packages useful for archaeologists: https://github.com/benmarwick/ctv-archaeology
- Archaeologists using R mentioned in the episode: Matt Harris (https://twitter.com/Md_Harris), Shawn Graham (https://twitter.com/electricarchaeo/), Andy Bevan https://twitter.com/ahb108), Néhémie Strupler (https://nehemie.github.io/), Enrico Crema (https://twitter.com/er_crema)
- Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry novice lessons for self-teaching R: http://swcarpentry.github.io/r-novice-gapminder/ & http://www.datacarpentry.org/R-ecology-lesson/
- Question and answer website for R: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/r
- Making custom web apps for data analysis using R: http://shiny.rstudio.com/